Sunday, February 6, 2011

PT 2 of 8 Fearing the "NO"

Fearing the "NO"

Many sales people are so afraid of hearing the word “no” that they make the mistake of accepting “maybe,” “let me think about it” or “I need a couple more weeks” as an answer instead.
Let’s face it – “maybe” (and all of its counterparts) is just a nice way of saying no. Wouldn’t you rather know that upfront so you could move on to other business, rather than being endlessly dragged along by the false hope that your prospect might, could, possibly buy… one day?

If you want to close more business, you must train your customers to believe that saying “yes” or “no” is allowed. Saying “maybe” is not. Try starting your sales meetings with this simple phrase:
“Ms. Prospect, at the end of our meeting today, I don’t expect that you will pass me a cheque and say ‘Let’s go ahead!’ I do expect that we will have gathered enough information about what you need and what I can offer to determine if there is a fit between our businesses. At that point, we can decide together what the next steps will be. Make sense? (wait for answer) Super. Also, if you really feel that what I offer is not a good fit for you, I am OK with you telling me No. Is that OK for you?”

If you are afraid to hear no, you will waste too much valuable time with prospects who are simply reluctant to hurt your feelings, and too little time with clients who are more serious about wanting to buy.

Stay Tuned for PT 3

AC LINKS SALES TRAINING SYSTEM

No comments:

Post a Comment